Old April 15th 09, 02:09 PM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

Default Allergies

enigma wrote:
Rosalie B. wrote in
:

I personally don't care for mangos, but apparently this kid
loved them. I wonder if some of this is something that he will
eventually grow out of, or would have grown out of if there
hadn't been so much exposure to it. I know I am much less
allergic now than I was as a kid. (Although I still have to
wear a respirator to get the winter clothes out of the closet or
I sneeze my head off)

depends on a lot of factors, really. some children outgrow food
allergies if they can avoid the allergen for some time (years).
some never do. it also depends on if it's actually an allergy to
the mango, for example, or an allergy/sensitivity to a pesticide,
herbicide, shipping preservative, wax or whatever that is commonly
found on/in mangoes.

It also depends on whether it is a sensitivity or an allergy, which are
different things. An allergy is a reaction that is mediated (caused) by
a particularly type of antibody, IgE.

Sensitivity means that someone is sensative to something. It doesn't
have to be an allergy (although allergy is a type of sensitivity).

Actually, in studies, they seem to find that kids who are exposed to
potential allergens are actually less likely to become allergic to
something than kids who aren't exposed to the allergen.

begin rant

Unfortunately, the science and medical education in high school and
college for non-medical people (and probably nurses, too) can be
improved. The terminology is specific. But, by understanding the
terminology and the actual diseases, one is able to make better choices.
This is also important for avoiding useless treatments (quacks) and tests.

end rant

allergies are odd, because some people build up a tolerance to
some allergins as they age, & other allergins get worse, or appear,
with more exposure. for instance, i've successfully managed to
avoid contacting poison ivy for almost 30 years. i used to be
really violently allergic, but i barely reacted when i got some the
summer before last. OTOH, i have never had a problem with bee or
wasp stings until last summer.

In addition, there is treatment with allergen exposure by allergists.

The immune system is quite complicated and involved in many different
illnesses, like diabetes type I and type II, MS, allergies, lupus and
hundreds more.

it's nearly impossible to avoid dust, so there's little chance a
dust allergy will improve...
lee

When I start to sneeze and get a runny nose, I am not sure if it is a
cold or an allergy. I just take pseudophedrine (the stuff you have to
buy from a pharmacist because it can be made into amphetamines) and an
antihistimine. It either gets better on its own or the meds help. I am
not sure.

Either way, I feel better. If I don't, I take more until I feel better.
It could be that meds help. Or I get better without them. Whatever.

Jeff