Old December 16th 08, 11:03 PM posted to misc.kids
toypup[_2_]

Default Sigh. Confused more than ever about orthodontics.

"Nikki" wrote in message
news:zfWdnaxpsrhlsNXUnZ2dnUVZ_sTinZ2d@prairiewave. com...
My kids have the gap between the front teeth too. It is because of their
frenulum (sp?) being so tight/strong. Ordinarily the dentist would cut
that but they will need so much orthodontic work anyway that it isn't
worth it - or so they said.

I was told about the frenulum needing to be clipped for DS, too, but that
was by one dentist long ago and no other dentist has ever mentioned it.

The 9yo had to have one of the baby molars pulled and the dentist put a
spacer in that spot to keep the teeth in line. The spacer will come out
when the molar under it pops through - which should be any time now. The
spacer has not been any big deal at all. The only problem it has caused
is they wanted to pull a baby tooth to give the adult teeth more room but
they couldn't because it was holding the spacer in place. He already had
that back molar up though.

I wonder if they have to pull baby teeth to let the adult teeth through, if
that means there will be no room for adult teeth when they are all in. I
mean, baby teeth are much smaller than adult teeth, after all. I know the
jaw will grow, but I wonder if that's enough.

The 7yo had to have surgery to get a un-erupted 2yo molar out. The back
perm. molar next to it is seated to far back for some reason, tipped side
ways, and ran into it under the gum line. If it doesn't come up now they
will have to either cut an area of the gum away and hope it comes up or
the orthodontist will possibly attach something to it under the gum line
to guide it out. He'll be 8yo in April. I was not told anything about
the root development. I'll have to ask about that.

That's what will happen with DS if his 6 year molars don't erupt. The
orthodontist said there's not much time because if they don't come out soon,
the roots will mature and they will never come out.