Old December 17th 08, 09:07 PM posted to misc.kids
toypup[_2_]

Default Sigh. Confused more than ever about orthodontics.

"Welches" wrote in message

"toypup" wrote in message
Okay, so DS's pediatric dentist recommended a palate expander because he
said his new teeth coming in were too big and he doesn't have room in his
mouth. He says there's not much time for a palate expander. After age
8, he stops doing them, it's too late to expand the palate and he just
leaves everything for the orthodontist later. He said they want to
prevent the need for tooth extraction later. My main concern is I see a
big, whopping gap between DS two front teeth. To a layman, it doesn't
look crowded at all.

I had a huge gap between my front two teeth when they came through. I'd
estimate at least 2mm. It was like that still at 12+ (looking at photos).
It cleared on it's own, I now have no gap at all, and they didn't do
anything. I had some adult teeth removed due to over crowding, but never
had anything else.
The dentists I've seen say it's typical for the teethto come through with
a gap, and it corrects itself usually. Certainly they wouldn't be looking
at doing anything about it at this stage.
Debbie

Well, then. It is possible to have a big gap but yet end up with
overcrowding of adult teeth. I very much want to prevent having any
extractions of adult teeth if at all possible and that is what the pediatric
dentist said the palate expander will help prevent.