Old May 20th 04, 01:53 PM

Default cloth diapers?

(tigger) wrote in message . com...
I'm mostly a lurker, but there is such a wealth of knowledge here and
I'm hoping that you all can chime in with your experiences. I'm 36
weeks pregnant (expecting a girl) right now and we're hoping to come
to a decision soon. =)

Anyway, my question: Is anyone using cloth diapers and, if so, what
has your experience been? DH and I think we'd like to use them, but
we keep hearing horror stories from friends and family about how they
will leak all the time and don't contain messes as well as
disposables. We keep thinking that they'll be healthier since they
don't contain all those chemicals...

Also, if you have any ideas on which is better - using a diaper
service or doing them yourself - that would also be appreciated!!! We
have the option of a diaper service where we live, but I'm not sure if
it's worth the expense, know what I mean?

I have used cloth diapers on my son - now 9 months - since birth. The
people who tell you horror stories have never actually used cloth
diapers or haven't recently used cloth diapers or didn't use good
cloth diapers. I heard all of it while I was pregnant, too, and found
that most people were shocked when they actually saw the diapers that
I intended to use.

We used Kissaluvs exclusively when DS was a newborn. You can read
about them at kissaluvs.com. I bought them from naturalbabies.com (I
highly recommend her site - she's a great WAHM!). They are expensive
at about $9 a piece. I had about 25 of them and that was enough. The
good news is that I resold them on eBay for almost 95% of what I paid
for them. He was basically diapered for free for the first couple
months. We used Bummis, ProRaps, and Bumkins covers and they all
worked fine and were all sold on eBay for a good return as well. If
you buy good cloth diapers, you will be able to sell them with no
problems. The diapers that they sell at Babies R Us aren't good
diapers. You can read reviews of all different types of diapers at
diaperpin.com.

I used a variety of other diapers as I was trying to find the
'perfect' diaper. The biggest trick is trying to find a good nighttime
diaper after baby starts sleeping long stretches. We use FuzziBunz and
absolutely love them. We first started using them for nighttime and
now use them full-time.

We do our own washing and I think it would probably be more difficult
to use a service really. We wash one full load every other night. DS
is breastfed and eating solids, but his poops are still not solid so
we don't dump anything or soak. It just all disolves in the wash.
Since about 5 months, he has massive bowel movements that almost
always escapes the diaper. I had him in a disposable last weekend
(testing for vacation) and he exploded out of it even worse. I never,
ever had a poop leak until he was 5 months old though.

-Lesley