Old May 21st 04, 04:01 AM
Kim E.

Default cloth diapers?

Thank you for all the tips! I figured the Target cloth diapers were
probly best for burping! I never thought about the velcro causing a
pile o' diapers in the laundry. After looking at some of this stuff
online, I think I will probly go with a combination of Chinese prefolds
and shaped diapers. I am sifting through all the recommendations to try
to decide which shaped ones to go with. I have a few more questions:

-Do those snappies really work to fasten the diaper securely? They
looked like a great idea that might not stay put from the pics.

-What kind of covers are good to use with the prefolds? As in pull-up
vs velcro closure, wool vs fleece vs cotton etc.

-With the diapers you use, the mother-ease, you said the diapers will
last until potty training - does this mean the same size fits from
newborn to toddler?? That seems to be what you are saying, but it seems
to good to be true!

-What would you recommend for night time specifically?

Thanks!!!

-kim

In article ,
says...

Unless you can afford no better, you may prefer to steer clear of the
diapers available at Target, Fred Meyer, or other chain stores. These tend
to sport an "absorbent pad" which in reality is less absorbent than the
plain cotton would have been, and....no.

If you wish to use prefold diapers, spend your $2 each and search the net
until you find Chinese Cotton Prefold Diapers. These can be used pinless
with velcro wraps, or with pins or Snappies and pull-on or snap-on pants or
covers in any variety of types (PUL, wool, fleece, etc). There is nothing
wrong with these, and if money is a concern, this is the inexpensive way to
go.

If you wish to use shaped diapers, well, I love the Mother-Ease system. At
about $9 per diaper, it's a substantial initial outlay, but the diapers
should last until the child is potty-trained, so the per-use cost is very
low. Plus, it fits most baby body shapes from newborn to 35 lbs (and I can
confirm this is true. I have used these for those sizes.)

If you want the kind with velcro tabs, make sure you get some with fold-back
patches so you can fold the tabs back for laundering. Otherwise you will
have a ball o' diapers when you take them out of the dryer, and you will not
be happy. I personally do not like velcro. Babies learn to undo it pretty
darned fast. And I don't like the feel, but your mileage may vary. There
are some beautiful work-at-home-mom-made velcro (and snap) diapers out
there. You will save money if you choose a one-size diaper. Many kinds of
diapers, including the pocket diapers such as the Fuzzi Bunz system, come in
various sizes, so you will be buying new ones (and they are expensive) all
along as your baby grows. But, the pocket diapers are appealing if you
really mind baby having wetness against the skin. My kids have never cared,
so I haven't either.

If If you can get back to us with what style you think you like best, maybe we
can point you toward better information?