Old August 27th 06, 06:16 PM posted to alt.support.single-parents
Mike

Default loneliness

"Moon Shyne" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message
ink.net...

"'Kate" wrote in message
On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 22:35:54 GMT, "Mike"
the following was posted in blue dry erase marker:

Hello, everyone!

My boys are happily watching Sponge Bob in their underwear, so I have a
bit
to talk to my ng buddies...

Okay, I have a question: anyone out there have any suggestions for
fighting
loneliness? As I've come out of my divorce, I've begun to open up more
people again, and actually would like to start dating at some point, and
definitely could use more friends. With the boys, though, it's very
hard to
find any "grown up" time for myself. I have to fight against loneliness
so
that I don't sink back into depression, but it's kinda hard sometimes (I
know probably everyone who reads this will undertand that sentiment).

Loneliness is a lack of something. It isn't a thing in itself. It's like
trying to divide by 0... you can't.

That being said, anyone have any advice in this regard? Not looking for
silver bullet; I know there is none. But I'm going crazy just being
alone
all the time... :\

Mike

You're alone. Without another grown up, you feel you'd sink back into
depression so you fight against loneliness?

Well, yeah. We all need social interaction to stay healthy, right? It
doesn't necessarily need to be an intimate relationship, but I need some
sort of adult contact.

Would it be safe to assume you have adult contact at work? And at least
some friends that you can contact outside of work?

Yeah, I have adult contact at work, but everyone on my team is either
married or living with their partner. I actually like the people I work
with, but I have a long commute, and outside of work itself, it's kinda hard
to relate to them personally. Maybe that's my fault, maybe that's just
where we're at in life. I have a few friends outside of work, but they are
"mutual" friends that I (we) had during the marriage, so it's kinda weird,
you know?

I know, I'm throwing a pity party. But now that I'm past my "rebound" phase
(maybe later I'll explain all that... but I'd rather forget that part), and
now that the boys and I have settled into a relatively stable routine, I'm
realizing I need more friends, and I need to start taking better care of
myself. I am trying to reach out more, it's just harder than I thought it
would be...