Old December 10th 03, 05:12 PM
Missy in Indiana

Default Christmas gifts

Hi...getting in a little late about the cash register. I'm not familiar w/the
one you discussed. But, our girls have one we picked up at our Indy Chidren's
Museum. They have them at Learning Express stores and (possibly) Zany Brainy
stores if you are at all interested. Since they are only 2 1/2, they aren't
learning much advanced stuff with it. However, they use it while playing
role-play situations with their plastic vegetables and they count the money.
They don't understand the value of the nickel vs. the dollar, but they count it
all as "1..2..3.." I don't know if it's "taught" them anything hugely
valuable, but it's reinforced what Rich and I teach them on a daily basis.

This is something G'ma bought because, after watching them roleplay at the
museum unexpectedly, she decided they "needed" it...G'ma (a retired teacher)
has a tendency to sway Mommy when there are new learning opportunities
Anyway, I'll make a recommendation and you can toss it if it doesn't sound
good. How about drawing your own money and credit cards and having them
laminated. Then, you could simply use a small cardboard box and draw the keys
with markers. A shoebox w/lid would also work great. I know it may be cheesy
to some people, but we do a lot of homemade stuff like that. I think it really
encourages their imagination and creativity plus saves money on things until
you know if it's really something they'll enjoy. If it becomes a huge hit, you
could say "Well it's already a hit, why change it?" or "Now that I know it's
something that will get a lot of play time, I can invest in a sturdier one".
Just thoughts.

Missy in Indiana http://hometown.aol.com/mhrust/overviewforng.html
Morgan Olivia & Julia Lucille 4/28/01 (YAY!)