Old August 21st 05, 03:22 PM
Ericka Kammerer

chris wrote:

Has anyone been induced in a second pregnancy after having a c-section
the firsttime around? It's been 3 1/2 years since my c-section but my
doctor will not induce me for fear of the scar rupturing and creating
an emergency c-section. Now she will let me go a normal vaginal birth
but just will not induce me.

Be grateful your doctor is up on the latest research.
It is indeed riskier to induce in a VBAC situation, particularly
with prostaglandins or pitocin. While they have gotten much better
at saving mothers and babies after uterine rupture, it's still
something that has a significant mortality and morbidity rate,
so it's not "just" that you might end up with an emergency
c-section as a result if the uterus ruptures.
If you get to the point that it's dangerous to leave
the baby in utero and yet your body will not go into labor
on its own, you could look at the specific risks and see if
perhaps something like just rupturing your membranes (if
the situation were favorable for that) might be enough to send
you into labor without as many risks as prostaglandin or
pitocin induction, or you may find that an elective repeat
c-section becomes the lower risk if you can't wait any
longer and you can't induce without unacceptable risk.

Best wishes,
Ericka