Old April 20th 06, 03:40 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Biting

Tammy wrote:
I came here for advice when DD wasn't gaining weight and received a lot
of help. Skylar is now 8 months old and has her first tooth. It isn't
completely in yet, but it is through the gum. Sometimes when she is
through nursing she will pull up and off and I am scrapped by the
tooth. I think that today she tried to bite me a couple of times, but I
wouldn't let her back on. I want and have to keep nursing, because she
won't take a bottle and she refuses formula, plus she only weighs 14lbs
9ozs and was 7lbs 4ozs at birth, so she is still small and needs to eat
often. She nurses every three to four hours and my nipples are getting
sore. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

If it helps any, I am right there with you. My DD is also 8 months,
and she has FOUR teeth! Whenever I look into her mouth, I see a little
guillotine. She hasn't drawn blood, yet, thank God, but there have
been times when I thought she did. OUCH.

I usually put her down and let her cry for a while, and hopefully
she'll get the idea that we don't get to nurse when we bite. Hasn't
worked yet, though.

Amy