Old February 2nd 08, 07:10 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

Default Bad latch,small mouth, cracked nipples

Hi again

Thank you so much for all your advice!!

Well, in the end I had to take a step back to go forward. For two days
I used nipple shields to let my nipples heal, as I could not even
focus on trying to fix his latch whilst in so much pain and sleep
deprived. I really was ready to jack all in. I was able to relax as it
didn't hurt to latch him on and really watch what I and he was doing.
I practiced lots of things like the nose to nipple, letting his head
flop back slightly so he could open his mouth wide, and really making
sure I bought him to me rather than craming my breast into his mouth.
Because I have the energy and no pain I also made sure I kept him
awake during a feed so he really got lots of milk - so lots of burping
and mid boob nappy changes. I have gone from supplementing 180ml to
just 80 last night, so we will be done with the bottles in a couple of
days. He now has between 2 and 4 hour sleep periods and settles much
easier without a dummy most of the time. He seems to have taken the
various different nipple types in his stride, and we have managed lots
of successful latches without the shields today. The mw watched as I
did it this morning agreed it looked right. His bottom lip still
doesn't flange brilliantly, but his chin and cheeks are tucked up to
the breast and the nipple isn't going flat. It's still slightly
uncomfortable but as the mw says they still need to toughen up. So all
in all it's going in the right direction and I can start to enjoy
bf'ing again instead of dreading it.

Anne: If you mean Judy S - she delivered my baby at home and was
wonderful!!! I didn't get down to the clinic as I wanted to wait till
I had done with the shields, but hopefully I won't need to know. But
great to know they are there if I do.

Sarah: the imagining the mouth thing really helped me understand why
he needs to let his head drop back a little to latch on - so thanks
for that!. I do use the cross-body hold for one side and it easier to
latch, but because my other nipple points at a weird angle I use the
rugby ball hold for that side. Odd but it works - apparently my sister
did the same thing so maybe it's genetic.

Also - I did try feeding some ebm with a syringe but he looked at me
like I was mad and it just dribbled out, so we are sticking to bottles
as he doesn't seem confused by them thank goodness. They are the TT
ones so more like a breast than the avent ones I used with ds#1.

All in all a very relieved and happy mummy and a much more content
little chap. Thank you everyone.

Jeni