Old June 23rd 03, 04:24 PM
0tterbot

Default Gotta keep it from The Children

"Banty" wrote in message

Do not put all smokers in the same basket. When my DH and I
smoked, we always, always, always threw out butts in a bin. It
is rubbish and belongs in a bin.

as i do & many smokers also do (although at this point i feel like i'm
talking to the walls. sigh. people just *want* to believe all smokers

smoke
all over everyone & throw butts everywhere.)

Hello, walls :-)

EGADS!
;-)

The problem is, *enough* smokers are rude and sloppy about it such that

it's a
problem. No one's saying all smokers should be deemed rude.

yeah, but read this thread, & observe that *enough* anti-smokers are rude &
obnoxious to smokers - people making grand statements about what smokers do,
& getting frightfully in a flap at the same time (& never noticing the
smokers who don't **** them off.) i'm certain it's quite identical to the
militantly whatever who simply never *notice* how many of the subject/s of
their disapproval are being perfectly polite about it, they only see what
they want to see & extrapolate it to a ridiculous degree.

but at any rate, pardon my momentary exasperation on that matter. :-)

(snippage)
I'm really, really down deep disgusted with the whole tobacco thing. It's

really stupid, addictive, expensive (personally and to society),

destructive,
valueless thing to be defending, to be calling on others' tolerance

continually
for.

it is - you'd be hard pressed to find anyone, smoker or not, who would
disagree with this. it's not rocket science, & precious few smokers "defend"
their habit. it just IS - going on about it's not going to change anything.

my point is that many smokers are polite people who go out of their way to
avoid littering, offending people, exposing people (unless by explicit or
implied consent) bla de bla, & only ever get lumped in with rude litterbug
smokers for our trouble.

i also concur that before various laws changed, people (including me - but
then again i had heedless youth on my side in those days) would & did smoke
in the most amazing locations & never really think about it, & possibly
affronted one or two people in the process... but - the way things are now,
non-smokers are given carte blanche to be gaspingly rude to smokers, &
smokers are considered to be right down there with used car salesmen,
paedophiles & junkies, & it's simply ridiculous. it's become a taboo out of
all proportion. it's been MY experience, (as a general person, not as a
smoker) that the rudeness (round here, god only knows what your laws are
like) is quite the reverse. people who wouldn't dream of criticising the
overweight, the junk-food addicted, the terminally miserable, the abjectly
lazy (etc) about their health matters start on at smokers as though
something they have to say is actually *news* - & it's often not polite,
either. we smokers are well appraised of the fact that we are killing
ourselves, & don't need to know. we know some smokers are rude, we don't
need to hear that either. it's my experience that anti-smokers need to be
watching their manners more carefully than the smokers do.

i barely know 3 people who will smoke in their own house these days. i think
the militants need to find a new category of person to oppress, quite
frankly. they made their point about 15 years ago.

& if people want to be worried about what they breathe, they need to get
more information on the substances that are actually killing them, & not
worry so much about some poor dweeb having a fag in the park.

pardon my exasperation. :-(
kylie