Old April 9th 07, 02:26 PM posted to talk.abortion,alt.child-support
Kenneth S.

Default Who has the ultimate right to choose?

My comments were implicitly directed at illegitimate births, but I
should have spelled this out.

You say that "just because a woman CAN make a choice to abort while a
man cannot does not necessarily make it a unilateral choice." Would you
apply the same logic to men? Just because a man CAN make a choice to walk
away from an unwanted pregnancy, while a woman cannot, does not necessarily
make it a unilateral choice?

"Beverly" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 11:09:31 GMT, "Kenneth S."
wrote:

But so long as women made unilateral choices, they should bear
the sole responsibility for their own choices.

I agree with the statement as written; however, just because a woman
CAN make a choice to abort while a man cannot does not necessarily
make it a unilateral choice. Children born within a marriage are
often a choice made by both, although not always. Conversely,
children born out of wedlock may be a choice made by both parents, but
I would strongly advise any woman in this situation to make her own
decisions based upon her own circumstances.

My eldest's father wanted me to abort. We were not married. I made
my decision to keep my baby and took sole responsibility for my
decision. I never asked his father for anything.

My younger two children were a product of my marriage to my ex
husband. We made the decision together to have children before they
were conceived. While I may have made the decision to divorce, it was
based upon HIS decision to molest. If I really ever had a choice, I'd
have chosen that he never do what he did. I don't feel bad asking
that he bear some responsibility toward our children.

That said, I STILL see providing for my children as something *I* must
do. Women who DEPEND upon child support are only setting themselves
and their children up. Both households should have a responsible
parent, but the only parent we can MAKE responsible is ourselves.
Beverly