Old November 17th 05, 08:12 PM posted to misc.kids.moderated

Default Another homework responsibility question

A followup on the homework situtation.

The week I didn't badger my daughter was the week things didn't get
done. And so this week, she still has half of the previous week's
homework to turn in, plus a whole new week of assignments, and is
developing severe writer's block and anxiety. She hates to fail, but
she clearly feels overwhelmed.

This school has much more demanding homework than her previous school,
and their expectations far are higher. My daughter is a perfectionist
who tends to shut down when she feels she can't do well enough. She's
smart enough to do the work, but she's not used to this level of
challenge; she's used to most things coming to her easily. She's also
not used to work being assigned on weekly insteady of a daily basis,
and the combination of the two isn't good.

In short, we have a letter into her teacher/advisor to meet with her to
discuss what our alternatives are and what suggestions she might have
to offer.

My daughter really wants to succeed at her new school, but the pressure
to want to do so is making things even worse for her. She told me she
was waking up at 3 a.m. (I assume from the stress.) Has anyone here had
a kid who had to negotiate through this kind of transition? How did you
(and your kid) handle it? Do you have any suggestions of alternatives I
might want to discuss or approaches I might take with the teacher? They
really *do* have a lot of homework at this school, even if my kid
wasn't currently frozen like a dear in the headlights at this point.

Thanks.

beeswing