Old May 5th 06, 08:43 AM posted to misc.kids

Default toddler likes intense flavors, smells

Engram wrote:
Don't know if it's likely to continue but he does sound like he is
definitely sensory-oriented.

My sister's eldest used to love these "strong tastes" as well. She could eat
pickles by the jar-full and would ask for a piece of lemon, then suck on it.
She seems to have grown out of it, though. She's 6 now. Still likes pickles,
but that's cultural for us, being East European, so she gets them anyway.
The lemon sucking has gone away, though.

I used to love touching things, even as a teen. I didn't go so far as to rub
them on my face, but I LOVED walking through fabric shops and letting the
various textures flow over the bare skin on my arms. Nothing sexual, just
liked the feel of it. I also like experiencing new tastes and unless
something repulses me from a personal point of view (I will not eat brains,
for example) I am likely to try it. Don't know if I was ever into sucking
lemons, but I like pickles, horseradish, mustard, etc.

So maybe he'll just be culinarily adventurous?

I hope so. He will eat almost anything now.

I was (and am) the same way - love lemons and pickles, etc. DS also
does the fabric thing when we shop - I have to fight him not to touch
and taste clothing. He's adopted so I don't think he gets the
flavor/smell loving from me, but his BMom is in culinary school, so
maybe it *is* innate/genetic.

-L.