Old July 17th 06, 09:35 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Sarah Vaughan

Default Etiquette Question - wedding invites

xkatx wrote:
"KD" wrote in message
ups.com...
Greetings folks:

Just wanting to get some opinions from out there. We've been invited to
a wedding, which it will cost a fair bit for us to go to; car rental,
gas, clothing for me, wedding gift, etc.

Anyhow, we just learned that our five month old isn't welcome at the
reception, not even for just the dinner portion. The baby is
exclusively breastfed, not like I could just leave him with someone.
Even if he weren't, everyone I know in the area will be at the wedding,
there's no one to leave him with.

Question is, is this the norm for weddings? When I got married this
didn't even cross my mind, and I confess it didn't even occur to me
that DS wouldn't be welcome when we got the invite. I always thought
that weddings were a family celebration, and families do include
children. I can't see us spending all this cash to go, when the most
important member of my family isn't welcome.

What do you all think?

KD & G

We're kind of in a similar situation - kinda...
We were invited to SIL's wedding end of June. She made it clear that this
was a family event, and she even told me that I was not welcome to attend if
I did not want to bring our kids. (FWIW, this was disaster time in the
family) DS ended up being sick, so I left him at my mom's house. I decided
to take DD with me, since I did NOT want to deal with 2 kids on my own for
an entire afternoon/evening out in the boonies where this wedding was
located. This wedding was off the wall for me - DH and I were told to bring
$60 worth of sandwich meat, other family members were asked to bring X
amount of buns, salads, dessert, etc.

Good lord. I'd have written a polite note declining the invitation. I
like to feel that I'm a guest and not a caterer.

All the best,

Sarah

--
http://www.goodenoughmummy.typepad.com

"That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be" - P. C. Hodgell