Old June 2nd 04, 01:23 PM
animzmirot

Default TV choices and tweens

"beeswing" wrote in message

Actually, it helps a lot. It's nice to know there is an 11-year-old out

there
who isn't watching Pokemon!

I've got two 11 year olds that wouldn't be caught dead watching Pokemon. My
children were never allowed to watch it (I HATE anime), but they never
wanted to. I allow my kids to watch a lot of stuff other parents would
completely freak out over, because my kids are way more mature than most
kids, because they've never been scared of anything (and I mean anything),
and because they are so well versed on reality vs the media that it would be
silly to limit them on fear alone. I let me kids watch stuff that has much
more sexual content than some parents would, but much less violence than
othe parents would allow. The rule is our house is, you can buy a PG-13
movie if I approve, but not an R. If you HAVE to see an R rated movie, we'll
rent it or borrow it from the library, but that's one viewing only.

FWIW, my son's favorite show is smackdown, which he's not allowed to watch,
with a couple of other things he's also not allowed to watch. How does he
see them? Friends, m'dear. If you honestly think that middle school kids
aren't burning CDs for their friends off TIVO or off the net, you're
dreaming. You can't believe what I find by doing backpack searches. The
complete works of South Park (not allowed), for example. IOW, you can try as
hard as you can to control what tweens watch, but when it comes right down
to it, you either ditch the cable, which I did in January, or you choose
another battle. This one is just too darn hard to fight with all the media
access kids have these days.

Marjorie

To listen to my daughter, you'd think she was the
only one ever in the entire universe with parents that won't let her watch

it
(cruel ogres that we are!). (She's seen it a few times at a friend's

house, as
your daughter has, but that's about it.)

What age was your oldest girl when she took over making her own TV

choices?

Thanks!

beeswing