Old November 10th 03, 09:25 PM
badgirl

Default co-sleeping and SIDS

"Leslie" wrote in message
I read an article in the paper this morning about a two-week-old who died

of
SIDS. His mother is using the tragedy as a springboard for a campaign
requiring by law that 1) all parents be CPR certified before leaving the
hospital and 2) that all parents of infants must have a baby monitor that

will
alert them if the baby stops breathing.

I am thinking about writing a letter about the benefits of monitoring your
baby's breathing by sleeping with him. I wonder if anyone can direct me

to a
link that gives positive stats regarding co-sleeping and SIDS and to the
research on a baby's breathing being improved by sleep sharing.

TIA,

Leslie

Would you mind posting a link to the story please if there is one online?
(what paper was it and where is it located I could probably find it that
way) I'd love to send the author feedback saying basically that NOONE has
the right to make a law dictating how I parent. Are they going to provide
these CPR classes free? Are insurance companies going to cover them 100% if
they're not? How about the baby monitors? Are they going to provide those in
the hospital bags? (you know, the bags that have all that formula crap in
them) How do they intend to make either of these laws, how would they
monitor if parents actually USED the baby monitors instead of tossing them
on the dining room table upon walking in the door from the hospital thinking
"I'll set it up later" only to leave it until it gets shuffled to the next
pile of crap in the house and not seen again till the kid goes to college?
How would they make SURE the parents really understood the CPR class and if
they didn't are the insurance companies going to cover the extra days in the
hospital required to pass the class or are they going to say "forget it you
pass so I can make my class quota for this week"
That is such an unrealistic campaign, I hope she isn't wasting anyones money
but her own on it. There are so many things to spend it on that would make
much more sense...like what really causes SIDS to happen in the first place.

Jen