Old July 26th 03, 12:53 PM
Chookie

Default Exclusive BF for big baby?

In article ,
"lovey" wrote:

he's also lately gone from one wakening a night to a couple/few times...
maybe it's normal for 4 mth olds?

It does happen with some -- "Baby Love" says some babies sleep through the
night from about 6 weeks, then stop doing so at about 4 mo. Unfortunately my
DS followed ths pattern, and yes, it WAS hard to adjust! OTOH it was usually
a single waking, except when he was teething/sick.

WRT overweight babies -- if the baby chooses his own feeding patern I think he
is unlikely to be overweight. Overweight is more likely in bottle-fed babies
who (a) can't control the milk flow rate like bfed babies or (b) have some
adult encouraging them to finish the bottle.

Once a baby starts to crawl, and particularly when they learn to walk, their
weight gain changes and they slim down. If your doctor isn't concerned, I
would not be either. I suppose if the weight percentile is a long way ahead
of the height percentile it might be time to worry.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990