Old July 26th 03, 02:34 PM
Naomi Pardue

Default Exclusive BF for big baby?

My son was born 8lbs 9 oz, as of last weekend, he was a little over 18 lbs.
so he has double his birthweight and then some, and he's not yet 4 months.

Wow! Sounds like he's doing terrific on your milk!

So I'm unsure of what I should do,
a. try to get him to nurse more during the day
b. try to add cereal to his diet
c. suck it up, and feed BM whenever he wants it even if it

I snipped most of your post, but I would definitely try to wait a little longer
to start solids. Not necessarily 6 months, but he isn't even 4 months yet,
which is really the bare minimum. Since it's entirely normal and common for 3
1/2 month old babies to nurse at night, why not just feed him at night if he
wakes. Maybe he'll go back to sleeping through in a few days, or maybe not.
You could certainly try feeding him more often during the day and see if that
will help, though if he's already eating every couple of hours during the day,
he probably won't want to nurse much more than that.

(Before rushing to cereal, remember that, while he's a big baby, he's still
only 3 1/2 months old, and so probably can't digest cereal yet. Do you really
want to fill his belly with something that he can't make any use of? Give it a
few more weeks. At 4 or 4 1/2 months, if you still want to try the cereal, and
he's showing other signs of readiness, you can offer him some and see if he
likes it/is able to take it.)

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)