Old March 6th 10, 02:08 AM posted to sci.med,sci.med.nutrition,misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health
Blinky Bill[_2_]

Default Bill Gates: We can lower the world's population with vaccines

"dr_jeff" wrote in message
Blinky Bill wrote:

"dr_jeff" wrote in message
Blinky Bill wrote:

"dr_jeff" wrote in message
Blinky Bill wrote:

snip

Reproductive health care means more than birth control.

In the context of reducing the current estimate of population in
2050 it probably doesn't mean much more than birth control.

Yet, Bill Gates is interested in helping people in developing
nations in ways beyond just birth control.

Nobody has said otherwise - but the best method of substantially
reducing the projected 2050 population (which is what is being
discussed, not his other philanthropic activities) is likely to be
birth control rather than waiting for fertility to decline with
improved life expectancy.

When people are better off socioeconomically, they usually choose to
have fewer children. That's a big reason why the birth rate in the US
is lower than that in Africa.

That may be so, but socio-economics wasn't mentioned in the quote by
Gates -
"If we do a really great job on vaccines, health care,
reproductive health services, we could lower that
[his initial 2050 global population projection of
9-billion] by perhaps about 10 to 15 percent."

That quote is the only thing I saw that he said on the topic of
population growth.

Yep - let's just stick to that quote, which is what was being discussed.

You were intellectually dishonest when you removed part of what I said
without indicating that fact.

I snipped the part not relevant to the point of discussion which is the Bill
gates quote cited above. Why you think it is "intellectually dishonest" to
try to keep you on topic by refusinjg to be diverted is something only you
can explain.

And we were discussing the meaning of the quote, by bringing other things

snip irrelevant "other things"

No "we" weren't - only you want to change the subject.

You apparently want this discussion to go on forever by changing the
subject - I'm not interested.