Old October 18th 05, 05:03 PM
JJ

Default no naps- EVER- life in disaster zone.

Sorry, this is a bit off topic I know. I haven't been able to read or
post in a while since we still don't have internet since Rita. My 14
month old is no longer napping- ever. She has never been a great
napper, but before the hurricane, she would go down around noon for an
hour every day, to bed at 6:30 and up at 6:30 without waking. She had
been weaned to just bedtime.

Then, hurricane and 2 week evacuation, 3000 mile road trip and
returning to a disaster zone with stressed out mommy and sick baby.
DUring the evacuation, I refused to let her cry at all at night, and
she went back to nursing 6-6 times a days and 3-4 times at night. She
lost weight, and spent a lot of time in the car. When we got back, it
was a good thing she had boosted my supply, since we coouldn't get milk
for a while.

Now, she is healthy and eating again, and back down to nursing once at
night. However, NO naps. I am not opposed to some CIO, but for a week
now, I've laid her down for an hour with no nap. I've tried lying down
with her, nursing her to sleep (she falls asleep but wakes when I put
her down) nursing her to sleep in my bed (won't go to sleep, just
nurses then crawls away) rocking her to sleep, sitting next to her
crib, etc. just NO naps. She is exhausted by 4, so I feed her at 4,
bathe at 4:30, then bed at 5pm, then she sleeps til 6 am.

for the last two days I haven't even bothered trying to get her to nap.
she seems tired in the afternoon, and lays her head on the
ground/floor, but say "nap" and those winkerpeepers pop wide open!

My question is- should I give up and be grateful she sleeps at night?
Is this still just trauma from the whole disaster thing? Things are far
from normal here, and our old routine will never come back, but we are
gradually establishing a new pattern.

How bad is it- neurologically and developmentally and all, if she just
doesn't nap? I could use a break during the day and all, but that's of
less concern to me than doing what is good for her.

again, my apologies in advance- I'm not able to read or post on a
regular basis until we get internet service restored.

JJ