Old October 11th 07, 09:57 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Amethyst Deceiver

Default Multi-Vitamin at 2 Months?

Jodi B wrote:
Hi All,

DS is now doing well with BF, gaining weight and putting on chub!

At his 2-week check up, the ped mentioned that if he was still
exclusively breasfed at his two month check up then they would want to put
him on
a multi-vitamin because "breastmilk doesn't have vitamin D." I've
never heard of babies going on a multi-vitamin at 2 months old...is this
new? If my baby
needs vitamin D, why doesn't my breastmilk have it? The only thing I can
think of is that I live in the Pacific Northwest (US), and we don't get a
lot of sun this time of year, so less vitamin D that way?

YoungBloke was exclusively breastfed till he was 6 months old when he
started solids. He was an October baby, and we live in the rainy north-west
of England - the sun goes down in November, never to be seen again, beyond
the drizzle, until about March. My Health Visitor didn't mention vitamin
drops of any variety until YB was 6 months old because that's when stores
start to drop.

I rather like this resource, especially the bit about it being as nature
intended:
http://www.breastfeeding.co.uk/index...34&Itemi d=38

- Vitamin D

It seems that breastmilk does not contain much vitamin D. We must assume
this is as nature intended, not a mistake of evolution. The baby stores up
vitamin D during the pregnancy and he will remain healthy without vitamin D
supplementation, unless you yourself were vitamin D deficient during the
pregnancy. Vitamin D deficiency in pregnant women in Canada is rare. Outside
exposure also gives your baby vitamin D even in winter, even when the sky is
covered. An hour or so of outside exposure during a week gives your baby
more than enough vitamin D even if only his face is exposed, even in winter.

Under unusual circumstances, it may be prudent to give the baby vitamin D.
For example, in situations where exposure of the baby to ultraviolet rays of
the sun is not possible (Northern Canada in winter, or if the baby is never
taken outside), giving the baby extra vitamin D would be advised. Vitamin D
drops are expensive.

--
YoungBloke: 3 years, 95cm, 14kg and finally weaned!