Old December 6th 07, 09:54 PM posted to misc.kids
toypup

Default Rewarding good or "not bad"

On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 11:35:20 GMT, Welches wrote:

Having observed at various times the 3-4 children in her form that are least
able to concentrate seem to get more than half the visible rewards going at
any time, this does seem to be disproportionate, but I can sympathise with
the teachers who have to keep them going. The school is very
non-competative, and don't seem to reward achievement either academically,
sporting, or other although they're good at recognising effort. I like the
awarding for effort, but sometimes #1 is confused by this and thinks she
must have done something badly because others got commended and she didn't
or thinks she must be really good at something that she isn't, but gets
rewarded because she tries.

I think they should reward both effort and excellence.