Old March 15th 08, 12:22 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids.breastfeeding
Ericka Kammerer

Default How to stop the night wakings?

Penny Gaines wrote:
Nikki wrote:
"cjra" wrote in message
I'm trying to figure out how I can still have
her in that room, with DH, and sleep.

I'm 95% sure that if when she wakes up he lays there and lets her cry
with only a hand on her back she will start sleeping through (for the
most part) while co-sleeping. I think you could even be in there
too. Do not get up with her, do not feed her, do not do more then say
"Time to sleep" and lay your hand on her. It is CIO except you are
right next to her so considerably gentler. It would also work to
plunk her in the crib and do the same thing but the crying would
likely be more intense and take more days.

I never had luck with laying next to but separate from with my hand on
them (i.e. crib next to bed) but it would be worth a shot.

This is effectively what we did with an 18mo, who was coming into our
room every night (they had they own room with a bed). It took 2.5 hours
for them to get back to sleep, but only one night. There was an adult
there the entire time (except when we were swopping over).

I agree that it's worth trying, but we never had any
luck being in the room. That just seemed to encourage the
screaming. Even now, if one of mine loses their temper, it
is far, far better to walk away and give them some breathing
room. They won't get themselves under control if you hang
around.
Different kids are very different on this front, so
it's always worth trying the easy road first, but I don't
think it's always the case that having a parent right there
is the gentlest thing for the child.

Best wishes,
Ericka