Old March 10th 04, 05:50 PM
Liz S. Reynolds

Default Cultural differences (was: upset at nanny -- vent)

In article ,
Tine Andersen wrote:

"Liz S. Reynolds" wrote in message
In article ,
Tine Andersen wrote:

mmm. I hear it's not really green. :*)

I'm not being judgemental - we have our issues here as well with

Greenland.

-Liz

I believe it was named by some viking who arrived there during the short
summer. It was green.

I'd read it was called that by the Eric the Red, to attract colonists from
Iceland. Sort of early marketing. I'm under the impression though that
despite the name, Iceland has a milder climate than Greenland, so they got
rooked.

The summer must be pretty green to grow enough food to support life for the
rest of the year, my grandfather lived there a number of years, the photos
are b&w, but they sure don't look like they'd have been green in color.

-Liz