Old March 12th 04, 03:24 AM
zolw

Default Cultural differences

Meaning of Place Name: Greenland
Greenland: The name given by Eric the Red in 983 to the sheltered nook
where he founded his colony from Iceland, thinking that "much people
will go thither if the land has a pleasant name." The name is not
altogether unsuitable, as the place chosen by Eric for the settlement
which he named Greenland is the pleasantest spot in the country, a
smooth grassy plain at the head of Igaliko fiord, near the modern
Julianshaab. The name was afterwards inappropriately extended to the
whole ice-clad country.

I found this in:
http://www.sacklunch.net/placenames/G/Greenland.html

Liz S. Reynolds wrote:

In article ,
Tine Andersen wrote:

mmm. I hear it's not really green. :*)

I'm not being judgemental - we have our issues here as well with Greenland.

-Liz