Old March 30th 05, 06:24 PM
Banty

In article , Jeff says...

"Mandy Anderson" wrote in message
. ..
I'm furious with my neighbors who seem to think the streets in our
subdivision are for playing. Several women who have nothing better to do
petitioned the county to put speed bumps in to slow cars down, yet the
speed limit of 25 mph is still fast enough to kill or injure a child.

A speed of 0.001 mph is enough to kill a child.

When
the sun is low on the horizon at evening rush hour, it often blinds cars,
reducing their visibility. Why is it that some parents feel it is fine to
impose inconveniences on the whole of society to make up for their
laziness
in controlling their children?

So, children shouldn't be allowed in the streets at all? What if they want
to go visit their neighbors? Perhaps they should have their mommy drive them
two doors down?

I guess the bikes, skateboards, and scooters should be relegated to up and down
the driveway, up and down, up and down, up and down.....

??

I don't know if you noticed, but adults were kids once too.

There is no reason why kids whouldn't play on the streets, as long as they
get to the side of the road when cars come.

I teach my children to stay in the yard, and
would never trust thier lives to some speed limit sign or speed bump.

No one would. However, speed bumps do make it safer for kids. So I am in
favor.

Right. What, aside from irritating the impatient, is the disadvantage to a
decently designed speedbump?

We
teach them that the road is for cars and the yard where cars can't go is
for playing.

No problem here.

On quiet residential streets, I see know reason why kids should not play
games on the street that they cannot play in their yard, like street hockey.
And I see no problem with kids taking a game of tag or whatever to the
street so they can go from one yard to another, as long as they stop when
cars come.

Street hockey, stickball, there are any number of kids' games which necessarily
happen in a street. And were developed on some of the busiest urban streets.

Banty