Old November 2nd 08, 09:28 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
NL

Default how do you know when to get checked out?

Anne Rogers wrote:

To check for appendicitis you pull up your leg with bent knee all the
way to your body and then stretch it out really quick, kicking down. if
that hurts really bad you need to see a doc. You can also lay on your
back and push down into your right side as far as you can and then let
go quickly. You're checking for rebound pain. If you have rebound pain
you'd better go and see a doc and let him check you out.

Also, if you're worried enough to ask here... That might mean you should
go and see your doc?

That test is really useful to know, thanks - though based on that test,
I should have had appendicitis in my last pregnancy - actually, the docs
thought I did to, temp was up, had rebound pain, urine and blood had all
the correct flags, then they did an ultrasound which didn't show the
inflamed appendix, boy was I glad they did that, not everyone does and I
could have been opened up before they realised I didn't, because it
really was bizzarre, every test pointed to it, but it turned out in the
end that my right kidney was the source of the problem as it was swollen
and infected, though I never had any symptoms like back pain of a kidney
issue.

Yes, but testing "from the outside in" is kind of prone to inaccuracy.
Also, two of my friends have told me they were feeling sick and throwing
up for a week before being diagnosed with appendicitis so that might be
another "marker". I still have my appendix but I'm somewhat paranoid
about appendicitis, so that's why I know those tests *lol*.

For a moment on Friday afternoon I was worried because I really did feel
awful, but knowing I had a stinking cold did make me think I could
probably discount most of the feelings and the pain probably was round
ligament pain. I was going to call my midwife, but somehow I've
misplaced the contact details sheet, I thought it was with the informed
consent thing I had to read through, but it wasn't and I can't locate
it. By the time I had been through all that, the worse pain had past and
through I still feel very twingy, it's obvious that other symptoms are
just cold not pregnancy, or appendicitis related. I guess I now know for
future reference (though I hope never to have to use it), is that with
my tendency to round ligament pain, an early ultrasound may well be
useful reassurance.

Yes. I think that's why most docs do the early ultrasound, not because
it's so useful for diagnosing anything but because it's very reassuring
for the mother.

cu
nicole - nak and dead tired