Old June 7th 04, 04:28 PM
Unadulterated Me

Default How many c/s can you safely have?

Sophie wrote:

Andrea explained that once. Something to do with when you have contractions
the bottom of your uterus gets sucked up, causing the rupture. Makes sense
to me why pregnancy is okay but not labor. Not that you were "talking" to
me

Oh yeah I do vaguely remember having this conversation before..lol
The lower uterus gets pulled up into the upper, which is what the
contractions do to dilate the cervix and cause downward pressure on the
baby. In cases of obstructed labour, or unnaturally strong labour such
as an induced one, this thinning out of the lower uterus gets to a point
where a ring forms called bandles ring, sometimes you can feel it
through the skin, I had one but mine was only noted once I was operated
on you couldn't tell from the outside. This can occur on an unscarred
uterus though as well as a c/sectioned one, it's generally an
obstruction that causes it not having a scar. It makes sense to me that
the scar would just pull up with the segment of uterus it was on,
probably thin a little too, but it's surrounded my contractile muscle so
it's going to move with it, get pulled along by it if you can sort of
picture that. Also spontaneous ruptures when they occur are often in the
upper segment I think, I remember reading that somewhere, I should do
more reading on this stuff I may need to know it one day ;-)