Old November 5th 04, 11:56 PM
Rivka W

Beth Kevles wrote:

When I read aloud to my kids, I aim for books that they're not quite
able to read independently, usually because they lack the
vocabulary,
but sometimes the the kids lack historical context. [..]
I want to avoid SF/Fantasy, because my older son reads that to the
exclusion of other forms of literature.

Joan Aiken might be a good choice. _Black Hearts in Battersea_ is
slightly-alternate history, set in 19th century England, with a lot of
mysterious plots. That's the first book in an extended series, so if
you and your kids like it, you'd have a lot of reading-aloud fodder.

_Midnight is a Place_ is historical fiction set during the Industrial
Revolution, and has a Dickensian feel - orphans, oppressive factories,
melodrama. I loved it as a kid.

Rivka

--
Visit my weblog at http://respectfulofotters.blogspot.com