Old January 17th 05, 01:29 AM
Kevin Karplus

In article . com,
wrote:
It seems to me the solution is going to have to involve letting her cry
for some time when she wakes up and does this (by the way, she still
has a little bit of a cough and stuffy nose still, but her cold is not
particularly bad now). My wife is very hesistant to let her cry (as am
I) but we need a real solution that 1) works, and 2) does not
traumatize our daughter.

I am appealing to anyone with a solution or suggestion on what we
should do to get help. Thanks.

You will probably get lots of conflicting advice, as everyone has
different ideas about what kids that age *should* be doing.

We went through similar sleep problems with my son at a somewhat
earlier age, where he had to be carried for hours before he'd fall
asleep. My wife and I alternated nights, so that neither of us got
enormously sleep-deprived (though neither of us got enough sleep for
about 18 months).

If your daughter has a cold, it may the switch from vertical to
horizontal that wakes her as mucus changes position in her nasal
passages or sinus. Try getting her to sleep in a sling while
you sit, so that your hands are free to hold a book. You could also
try sleeping sitting up, though this is not much better than staying
awake (as thousands of coach-class airline passengers can attest).
A rocking chair may help lull her.

Kevin Karplus
http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~karplus
(Senior member, IEEE) (Board of Directors, ISCB)
Affiliations for identification only.