Old January 5th 08, 05:52 AM posted to misc.kids
deja.blues

Default advice on game systems?

"joni" wrote in message
On Jan 3, 11:12 pm, "deja.blues" wrote:
Children do get exposure to computers in a school setting, but I don't see
them taking the place of learning to write or replacing a classroom
setting
anytime soon.

Perhaps not in elementary schools, but many high schools have their
students using personal laptops for a large percentage, if not all of
their school work.
Webcam teaching, conference groups, even worldwide with other students
in some other country,
teachers can be teaching not in front of the class but in segments
downloaded at a students individual pace and
homework can be sent in on a disk, uploaded or emailed to the teacher
for review. All paperless.

I have a 12th grader, a 9th grader, and 4th grader in a very large,
well-funded and technologically up-to-date suburban school district.
Students do not take their own notebook computers to school. They have
personal drives and directories on the school server where they store their
work, and use flash drives to transport files. Teachers post homework on
their websites.
My kids have written many papers, and teachers still want them printed and
handed in on hard copy.

Yes it *is* the wave of the future and a young child who knows their
way around a computer will
be one step ahead of the pack.

You'd be hard-pressed to find a young child today who doesn't know how to
use a computer. My youngest son has had a gmail account since he was 7.

Frankly, I think kids should learn how to do stuff like carpentry and
cooking. Any idiot can use a computer, but show me someone who can saw a
board in half or make an omelette.