Old January 5th 08, 12:40 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

Default advice on game systems?

"deja.blues" wrote in

"joni" wrote in message

groups.com... On Jan 3, 11:12 pm, "deja.blues"
Yes it *is* the wave of the future and a young child who
knows their way around a computer will be one step ahead of
the pack.

You'd be hard-pressed to find a young child today who
doesn't know how to use a computer. My youngest son has had
a gmail account since he was 7.

mine has had email since he was 13 hours old. he's been
playing on my computer since he was around a year old. he has
his own laptop now (thanks to gramma & grampa).

Frankly, I think kids should learn how to do stuff like
carpentry and cooking. Any idiot can use a computer, but
show me someone who can saw a board in half or make an
omelette.

well, pretty much any idiot can saw a board too, it's just
getting the cut where you need it & at the exact angle
but i agree that dropping things from school curriculums in
favor of more reading & arithmatic (thanks to NCLB), things
like music, arts, shop & basic home ec for *all* students are
just plain stupid. first, because people *do* need to be
exposed to the arts & more and more frequently are not exposed
at home, and also because we're raising a nation of functional
idiots.
lee