Old November 5th 08, 08:37 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

Default I'd appreciate any wisdom on type of birth...

Have you looked into whether you can have a water birth in a hospital? I
know someone who rented a birth tub for her birth at Swedish a few
months ago. As you probably know, Swedish isn't exactly known as the
place to go for a natural experience, however with very good preparation
and a supportive doula, they managed it despite a labor that was longer
than all 4 of mine added together.

The question may be whether you can get a tub filled and warmed in time
anywhere.

I've more against vaginal birth in hospital than just water birth,
though I do accept it may well be the best choice for me. At home, we'd
try and hire a tub that had a lockable lid that you keep warm and change
the water weekly and we might do that anyway as the warm water would be
useful for pain management as well I think. The tub at the birth centre
is fairly small, so it shouldn't take long to fill and it should be
ready to go at any time, but I'll add it to my list of questions!

Given the history of precipitate labour, I wouldn't fancy the journey to
Swedish, if everything did go smoothly, I suspect I'd be birthing on
I-90! Which is another reason to plan homebirth, if baby is well
positioned, it will probably be quick and if it isn't, then I don't rate
my chances of waiting and not going for an elective c-section very
highly as there is way to much fear in me about labouring with a
malpositioned baby - if my research is correct, posterior is the most
birthable of malpositions and we know that was too much for my body. I
suppose there is the possibility of baby being LOP but having a nuchal
hand or being face or brow presentation, but they are much rarer
malpositions anyway.

Cheers
Anne