Old September 17th 06, 08:17 PM posted to misc.kids.moderated
[email protected]

Default Trick-or-treating -- how old is too old?

beeswing wrote:
My daughter will be 12 in December and is in 6th grade, which in her
school is the second year of middle school. I let her trick-or-treat
last year but feel like this year she has crossed into the "too old"
zone. She's accused me of trying to take away her childhood (!), so I
thought I'd raise the question here.

What do parents here think? How old is too old to trick-or-treat? When
I was growing up, 6th grade was my last year, but junior high started
in 7th. Am I being reasonable stopping her at this age, do I give her
one last year, or do folks here think trick or treating should continue
into the teens?

My oldest just turned 13. He went last year, and plans to go again
this year. We go as a group with another family with 3 boys; he's the
oldest but not by far. None of the boys has hit a growth spurt yet, so
they all still look like children, which does make it easier.

When I was growing up, there was a natural social pressure and kids
starte feeling too old around 12-14yo and stopped on their own. I
don't really see any harm in it if they kids are still enjoying making
a costume and having fun with it. It's when teens come around in a
lame 30-second costume and are clearly just out for the free treats
that it starts to seem tacky, IMO.

Let her have her childhood.

--Robyn