Old September 17th 06, 09:22 PM posted to misc.kids.moderated
Dawn

Default Trick-or-treating -- how old is too old?

beeswing wrote:
My daughter will be 12 in December and is in 6th grade

(snip)
What do parents here think? How old is too old to trick-or-treat?

I think it's too old when the kid doesn't want to go anymore. For
Henry, that was 12 -- but I wouldn't fight him if he still wanted to go
(or if he wanted to go with friends this year). I suspect he stopped
because he got tall early and felt uncomfortable -- he turns 14 today
and is 6'3"

I'd require him to dress up -- I can't handle the 16 year olds in jeans
and a t-shirt with a Wal-mart plastic sack... but I do still give them
candy on the theory that there is a lot worse those kids could be doing
on Halloween night.

Come to think of it, why not think of it that way? Wouldn't you
*prefer* she still wanted to trick-or-treat as opposed to the other
things teens do on Halloween?

FWIW, in our part of the country, which is just a few miles north of
the border with Mexico, the Halloween season is a multi-generational
celebration and we actually get a fair number of adults at our door
each year (in great costumes). The Mexican "Day Of The Dead" (Dia de
los Muerta) celebrations are pretty cool. But then, I *love* Halloween
and decorate almost as much for it as I do for Christmas.

-Dawn
Mom to Henry, 14 today!!!!