Old March 12th 08, 02:49 PM posted to misc.kids
cjra

Default How to stop the night wakings?

On Mar 12, 9:46 am, Chris wrote:
On Mar 12, 9:24�am, cjra wrote:

On Mar 12, 7:22 am, cjra wrote:

Apart from the fact I'd like my bed back, I'd like to get her to
sleep! We do put her in a crib which is in our room, but to do that we
have to let her cry. Usually that only takes a few minutes, but it's
not something I'd like to do. Is that going to be our last resort now
for the 4am wakeup?

let me correct this - at 9pm (which is when we resort to the crib if
she hasn't already fallen asleep), it now only takes a few minutes
before she goes out. But at 4am, the few times we've tried, it's been
30min+ of _screaming_ before we finally give up. So I know it'll take
a long time.

Babies that age can have nightmares or simply startle themselves with
a dream fall, as they fall quite frequently every day at this age.
They can also be getting their 2-year molars, which can inflame,
subside, inflame again later, etc. I'd get her ears checked if you
haven't already too just to rule it out.

We've had the ears checked often, although the last time was early
Feb. No problems there.

I wouldn't let her cry it
out. Move her crib to the side of your bed so that you can reach a
hand in and comfort her telling her shhhh, it's okay, mama's gotchya,
etc.

That's a good idea..let's see if I can fit the crib there, although
when I sleep in the same room with her now, she knows I'm there but
not as close as she'd like so she screams more. She doesn't so much
when it's just my husband with her.

Try some white noise like a small fan. She'll learn that whatever
it is that is waking her (minus anything painful) is only temporary
and nothing to worry about. My 2-y/o loves to hit his Ocean Wonders
mobile button, and he has done so since before the age of 1 actually.
I hear it playing sometimes 4 or 5 times a night on the baby monitor,
but he is obviously able to comfort himself back to sleep with either
the music or the light.

We have one of these things which she loves, but to her it means 4am
Dance Time. She starts laughing and singing and carrying on. It
doesn't put her back to sleep