Old March 13th 09, 05:06 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

Default Well, Get me!

Congratulations, Lucy!

I vaguely remember that you seemed to disappear not long before I found
out I was expecting, I was worried about you because you'd seemed
anxious and though computer troubles was a much more logical
explaination, I also wondered if posting had just become too much for
you, so I'm really glad to hear a positive update!

Given we're now living in the US, I've been working through the pros and
cons of the different systems between here and the UK, what you went
through has definitely given me questions to ask. Midwives here don't
have the same "duty of care" concept that we have in the UK, I have a
horrible suspicion that having a pulmonary embolism in pregnancy would
make them unable to continue to give care, it was always reassuring to
me, that in the UK because of "duty of care", that you could have a
really dire situation, if you stood your ground, they'd still have to
come to a homebirth.

On the other hand, I feel like the quality of midwifery care I'm getting
is like having an independent midwife in the UK, but it's covered by
insurance (though obviously this depends on your insurance company and
which state you are in).

Cheers
Anne