Old October 11th 09, 07:29 PM posted to alt.child-support
Bob W

Default Some Sensible Questions about Child Support Debtors’ Prisons

"Dusty" wrote in message

The sensible approach to all of this is equally shared parenting in which
parents have equal time with children and share the expenses of childcare
equally. But until we get there, family courts must (a) start
establishing support orders that parents can actually pay, (b) start
enforcing visitation orders (that's the main cause of refusal to pay), and
(c) establish summary procedures for child support modification that
reflect changed circumstances.

Oh, and (d) only send people to prison who can pay but don't.

[Dusty - (d) only send people to prison who can pay but don't - only after
proving it with hard evidence, not just someone's gut feeling or say-so.]

There is another item to add to this list that really troubles me. Some
forms of income and assets are exempted from CS order calculations and
garnishments. The courts know they can't order the father to tap into that
income and the courts know they can't garnish those assets. So instead the
courts order a set amount to be paid by a certain date and tell the father
they don't care where he gets the money from as long as he pays.

So my addition to the list is (e) Courts should be barred from playing
games to get around the legislative intent behind the CS laws.