Old May 10th 04, 05:07 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Default first OBGYN visit

EmmaM wrote:

Two days ago I had my first visit to OBGYN (10 weeks). I was surprised that
they didn't do any urine tests, I thought it's standard at every visit. Am I
wrong?

I think some providers don't start it up until a bit
later, though most I've heard of do urine tests every visit.

Another questions is about first trimester screening for down syndome and
trisomy 18. I wonder what the experiences are with this testing - how
accurate is it, does is really make sense to do it? The doctor said that for
my age (25) it's a rather low risk though.

What tests are you thinking about? The nuchal
translucency scan? CVS? In general, anything other
than CVS or amnio is a screening test. Most people
who screen positive will not have the condition, but
will likely expose themselves to an amnio to find out
for sure, thereby incurring a slight risk of miscarriage.
Your odds are very low for having a problem, but, of course,
it *could* happen and women your age have had positive
screens before.
To my way of thinking, it really depends more
on your risk preferences and what you'd do about it.
If you really want to know and would consider terminating
the pregnancy, then perhaps it's worth the risk even
though the odds that there will be a problem are very,
very small. If you wouldn't terminate even if the baby
had a problem, then you'd be accepting the risk of
miscarriage in order to give yourself some time to
get used to the idea. Some women feel that the peace
of mind from a negative screen is worth the risk of
doing something about a positive screen or worth the
risk of worrying the rest of the pregnancy after a
positive screen if they refuse further testing. It
really does depend on how you feel about the situation.
For what it's worth, I never had any of that
testing done for any of my pregnancies (at 28, 30, and
36 years old). All three kids are quite healthy and
I didn't spend any time obsessing over it during the
pregnancies. But that's just my personal preference.
If you're specific about the tests you're
considering, people could offer more details about
the accuracy of the tests.

Best wishes,
Ericka