Old December 17th 03, 10:53 AM
Anne Rogers

Default Sleep routines and nursing baby to sleep

Hi Sarah, welcome to m.k.b I remember you from uk.p.p.p, we were due 2
days apart!

Sorry to hear things have started getting worse in the night, we've just
been going through similar where we might have 2 or 3 nights in a row
where he wakes up, the first time he wants to eat, properly, but later
wakings he just fusses (he hasn't comfort sucked for a long time). We
think it might be teething, apparently they go through phases where the
teeth are moving around in the jaw even if they aren't close to coming
through. Unfortunately there doesn't seem much you can do about it, just
go with it and comfort them. Thankfully we've just had 2 nights where hs
has slept through after a bad weekend where he was up for an hour or more
at a time.

One thing we just did which I wish we'd done sooner was put a cot toy on
the bars of the cot (we were passed one one by a friend who was clearing
out), it's a big yellow plastic teddy with activities on it. Last night at
bed time we put him down and left the room, we could hear these taps as he
played with it (in the dark), this was the first sound we heard this
morning as well.

For naps, my solution is when he is tired, I make sure he is well fed,
then changed his nappy, put him down, close the curtains whilst talking to
him, telling him to sleep well etc. then I leave the room and set a timer
for 15 minutes, first thing I do is put some washing or drying on so I
can't hear him (sounds cruel, but it seems to work for us and it's less
than 1 time in 10 he is actually screaming), then I dash around for 15
mins doing anything that needs to be done and at the end of that time I
check on him at least 9 times out of 10 he is fast asleep, then I take
some me time, make a cup of tea, put my feet up etc.

Hope this helps.

Anne