Old September 29th 06, 03:48 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health
Jeff

Default Emergency Department Visits Involving ADHD Stimulant Medications

"Jan Drew" wrote in message

"Jeff" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Jan Drew" wrote in message
m...

"Rich" wrote in message

"Jan Drew" wrote in message
m...
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. Johann Wolfgang von
Goethe

Nothing is more dangerous than active ignorance. -- Goethe
Posted in 2002 by me.

Excerpts:

Emergency Department Visits Involving ADHD Stimulant Medications

a.. An estimated 7,873 drug-related emergency department (ED)
visits involved methylphenidate or amphetamine-dextroamphetamine, two
medications used to treat attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder
(ADHD).

Considering the number of people who are prescribed these medications,
this is a rather low rate. The ER visits for acetaminophen, narcotic
analgesics, and even iron supplements are all much higher.

b.. The most frequent reason for these visits was nonmedical
use (48%), followed by adverse reactions associated with medical use
(34%), accidental ingestion (10%), and suicide attempts (8%).

Bear in mind that the "adverse reactions" are almost all transient
tachycardia which carries very little threat of injury or death in the
young population that is likely to be taking prescribed amphetamines.

c.. The rates of ED visits involving methylphenidate or
amphetamine-dextroamphetamine for patients aged 12 to 17 were higher
than the rates for patients aged 18 or older.

Well, duh. First, there are more 12-17 year-olds prescribed the
medications than those 18+. Second, a 12-17yo feeling ill is likely to
be taken to the ER by parents. An 18+ having an adverse reaction,
especially if he is using diverted drugs, or abusing his own, is more
likely to wait for the effects to subside.

If there drugs were so not easy to get, 18 year olds couldn't get them.
This is the fault of doctors.

It is not the fault of doctors that patients abuse drugs.

If there drugs were so not easy to get, 18 year olds couldn't get them.
This is the fault of doctors.

What part of that do you not understand?

Doctors are not police. One alternative is to have a pharmacist in each
school and college, giving out pills one-by-one. For about $80k per year per
school.

Do you have a workable alternative?

People take other people's antibiotics. But that is not the fault of
doctors, either.

d.. Over two thirds (68%) of the visits involving nonmedical
use of these two drugs also involved another substance, such as
alcohol, an illicit drug, or pharmaceutical.

Yes, people who abuse drugs often abuse more than one drug.

Recent studies have indicated that as many as 7 percent of children
and 4 percent of adults now meet the criteria for a diagnosis of
attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).1,2,3 As a result,
more prescriptions are being written for the stimulants used to treat
ADHD. More prescriptions will likely lead to increases in medical side
effects associated with the use of these medications and, potentially,
greater use of these drugs for nonmedical purposes as well.

True, but for every new abuser there are likely to be many more who are
enabled to lead productive lives with the help of the medication. It's
a good trade-off.

In your opinion. The fact is they are given to very young kids. Which
is insane.

Really?

Yes, really .

It is a fact that you knew already.

It is your opinion. Not that I think it is a good idea to give these drugs
to young kids. But, they are not licensed for this either, by the FDA.

It is insane to enable kids to pay attention and do well in school?

That's debatabe, It was shown that they actually did worst on tests.

References, please. Again, if you don't back your claims, you lose. Backing
your claims is your homework, not mine.

I was called a liar by your buddy, Mark Probert and others--when I
posted that
years ago. Now it is well proven
I was correct and not a liar.

In your opinion.

Nope. A proven fact (and you knew that also).

No, I have not seen any evidence that makes me think Probert is a liar. If
you think I knew what you say, prove you can read minds. Of course, you may
believe it and may have said it a million times, but I usually ignore
garbage, so I ignore most of what you type.

4 A recent Food and Drug Administration (FDA) advisory panel
recognized the danger of side effects for ADHD stimulants and
recommended that they carry a warning of an increased potential for
cardiac problems, such as hypertension, cardiac arrests, and stroke.

Yes, those things can happen, but they very seldom do in the younger
population.

But, but,, but--Richey. Face the facts.

Provide us with evidence that they happen often.

Jeff

Rich needs to face facts. Jeff--notkidsdoc--Jeffrey Peter, M.D--Jeff P.
Utz, MD.

In other words you are unable or unwilling to back your cliams.

You lose again.

When you are able to say something intelligent, I will respond. Until then,
I will not respond to anything else you write in this thread.

Jeff