Old November 2nd 05, 03:24 PM
Robyn Kozierok

Default Changing teachers mid year

In article ,
Lesley wrote:

Anyone been through this? My seventh grader found out yesterday that
she's been assigned to a new teaching team. Our area has huge
population growth, and they've hired two new seventh grade teachers
(taking the school from 12 to 14 7th grade homerooms). They randomly
chose the students to be assigned to the new team, uprooting them from
current teachers, routines, friends.

Do they normally form teams randomly? It seems to me that most schools
form teams with some thought for balance of abilities, or keeping
incompatible kids apart, or making sure everyone has a friend, or other
criteria. If your school does not normally form teams randomly, then
it seems odd to be doing so in this case. I expect they were trying to
be "fair" by randomizing who would be "uprooted", but it seems *un*fair
that this team is random if the other teams were developed with more
thought.

I'm sure it's too late to do anything about this factor at this time,
and perhaps I'm way off and all the teams are random, but if I were to
complain, this is what I would be complaining about.

As to your daughter, I suspect she is settling in well now, and hopefully
has found at least some benefit to the new team. If she's still miserable,
see if you can find out what specifically she misses from the old setup,
and see if there's some way that loss can be mitigated for her.

Take care,
--Robyn
..