Old March 20th 06, 09:51 PM posted to misc.kids

Default Earliest Memories Remembered During Adulthood

Can't answer the question about what science says, but I was briefly
hospitalised when I was young. I have a memory of the layout of the ward,
of where my cot was in the ward relative to the doors, the windows, the
other beds and cots, etc., and I remember standing at the bars and people
talking to me and something about how I felt. For years I thought I must
have made these memories up, because I was "obviously" too young to
remember. Recently I checked with my mother: she confirmed that the details
in my memory are actually right. Whilst of course we had talked about the
fact that I'd been in hospital as I grew up (I have a scar from it), she's
pretty sure neither she nor anyone else would have talked about the layout
of the ward etc. - no reason to. I tend now to believe that it's a real
memory. It's not inconceivable that I could have coincidentally imagined
the right details, but there are quite a few of them - it seems more
unlikely that I'd have got them all right by chance.

I was 14.5 months old!

That was very much a one off, connected with an experience that must have
been stressful. After that, the next thing I'm pretty sure I remember is a
mental event from when I was a bit over 2 (maybe 26 months), and "fullish"
memory starts at the birth of my brother, when I was 3 years 2 months.

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003