Old August 15th 06, 12:54 AM posted to misc.kids.moderated
Chris

Default handling own medicine--what age?

Louise wrote:
On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 14:34:43 EDT, "Chris" wrote:

At what age can kids be responsible for taking things like tylenol or
allergy medicines on their own as needed?

One way to ease into this is to leave the medicines he needs for him
to get himself, but ask him to let you know when he's taken one.

Yeah, this is sort of what we've been doing the last year or so (before
that I can't remember him ever needing medicine since he was pretty
young).

In working with teenagers at a camp, I've noticed that it seems to be
quite common among teenagers to be reluctant to take medicine for
headaches, menstrual cramps, or other common ailments.

My husband is like this. He'll have a pounding headache and refuse to
take any medicine, I guess he thinks it is "manly" or something. We
are definitely not a pill popping family, but it seems silly to me not
to use the medicines that are available.

I have tried to impress upon him the need to take medicines as directed
and we have discussed the whole schools and pills issue, but those are
important points to emphasize over and over again!

Chris