Old July 12th 03, 10:56 PM
toto

Default "Time Wasting Rules" - from Real Simple Magazine - NOT GOOD!

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 01:46:33 -0400, "Kara H"
wrote:

I have to say that this is a load of sh*t and I can't believe that anyone
would even think of calling breastfeeding a "time waster".

No kidding.

IMHO, it saves
time! No bottle prep time, you can feed the child ANYWHERE and not have to
wait for a place to warm the formula, etc. I'm glad that they included the
last statement. But I think that if they absolutely had to use this, they
could have AT LEAST worded it in a different way to make BF'ing mothers not
feel like what they are doing is unimportant. I think "some of the bonding"
is an understatement as BF is a *huge* bonding oportunity.

I breastfed both children. I think it not only saved time, but it
was so much easier than preparing bottles and carrying all kinds
of paraphanelia with me when I went out.

I could, put a couple of diapers and some wipes in my purse and
head off - no looking for stuff, no preparing bottles, just pack up
baby and off I went. Now, there are more ready mixed formulas
today, but the expense of that is the trade off and you still have to
go get the bottles out of the fridge, warm them up and be careful
about throwing out formula after feedings which is wasteful.

I do think mom's and dad's can bond with babies when they
feed bottles, though. I don't think we have to be so insistent
that someone who bottle feeds is a bad mom or won't bond.

Still, breastfeeding is best for both baby and mom, imo. I don't
know where this physician is coming from at all.

-Kara
(who hasn't even BF a child yet but is still a little peeved by this!)

--
Dorothy

Outer Limits