Old March 18th 05, 01:56 PM
Louise

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 15:02:16 EST, (Robyn
Kozierok) wrote:
Rather than tilting at windmills to get a company to make an impossible
"fix" to a years-old show, perhaps the better approach is to teach our
children that sit-coms are not a realistic reflection of life. Watch
the show with your children and point out the inconsistencies you see.
Challenge them to point out other inconsistencies and unrealistic parts
in this and other shows they watch. Help them to become critical consumers
of whatever mass media programming you allow them to watch.

Kids can become great critical consumers. I remember being astonished
to hear a 10yo explain that she knew the show she was watching was bad
because .... ; she was just watching it because she needed something
escapist after school. I sure wasn't going to criticize, because I do
exactly the same thing.

Nowadays, she mostly rents DVDs of old episodes of shows recommended
by friends, or time-shifts stuff off Space! The Imagination Station,
and certainly misses all the commercials that someone intends to
direct at her age group, which is just fine.

Louise