Old September 29th 06, 07:42 PM posted to misc.kids
toypup

Default First birthday party, no gifts?

"Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward" wrote in message
oups.com...
We've just been invited to a first birthday party in Somerville, MA,
and the parents said no gifts.

I feel silly going to a child's birthday party and not bringing a gift.
I wouldn't want them coming to my daughter's party and not bringing a
gift, even if I know it's likely to be something I don't want or need.
It's not about me, it's about the child.

What is the practice where you live?

I understand how the parents feel about the clutter. However, I feel the
same way you do, that it is about the child. Some parents do feel they
don't want to give the child a "gimme" complex, but I don't think that
birthday gifts necessarily do that. OTOH, it's best to honor the parents'
wishes.

We did go to a party once for DS's best friend. We had already gone
shopping for the gift and DS was excited to give it to him, so when the mom
said "no gift," I told her we already bought one and it would break DS's
heart. DS was the only one invited to the party, so it wouldn't make other
guests feel uncomfortable. I asked if it was okay if we could bring it
anyway, since we had already bought it. I never would have asked if we
hadn't already gone out to get it.