Old February 24th 04, 08:24 PM
HollyLewis

Default How long do you keep breast milk in fridge?

I read so many conflicting things everyting from 48 hours to 5 days. I
become
paranoid and taste my milk before giving it to our little mush and of course
I'm always convinced it tastes different, probably because we have a very
varied diet with tons of different cuisines..sometimes it tastes sweet and
bland and other times a bit soapy of all things...never sour though. Would
the
milk reek or become very curdled if it were spoiled? I'm getting nuts and
sometimes I'm convinced that two day old milk is bad....It drives me crazy to
dump milk that took me forever to pump. I don't freeze because I am a SAHM
and
I teach at home in the evenings for only three house so we only need one
bottle
a day.

Thoughts please

Lisa
(who is really becoming a great breastfeeder and is SO happy about it)

Oh, don't dump your milk just because it tastes a little soapy! :-) (Which is
a relatively normal phenomenon and doesn't necessarily indicate that it's
spoiled.) Offer it to the baby first and see if the BABY likes the taste.

For most people, the milk is fine for 3-5 days. Some mothers find that theirs
"goes off" earlier. But the best indication of whether it's been in the fridge
too long is whether the baby will take it.

And there's no reason not to go ahead and freeze your milk any time you've got
more than one bottle in the fridge already! Since you're pumping regularly
anyway, why not build up a little stash, so that you don't have to plan ahead
for every single time you might want to be away for a few hours?

Holly
Mom to Camden, 3yo
EDD #2 6/8/04