Old July 22nd 03, 04:19 PM
Mary W.

Default cat scratches

Sara wrote:

My nine-month-old baby loves our cat. Loves to chase him, to pet him,
to try to eat him. The cat is surprisingly tolerant, but... well...
there have been incidents. We keep the cat's claws trimmed and try to
stop the violence, but even so Ollie's getting quite a few scratches.

Is there anything to worry about with these scratches? I've read about
"cat scratch fever," but anything else? (He's an indoor, healthy cat.)

Glad to hear the cat is here to stay We've got a cat and two dogs
and a 2 yo daughter. No major mishaps yet. Lots of supervision.
The cat, smartly, keeps her distance from DD (although she does
sleep on her bed at night), and DD went through a stage of
hitting the dogs. Correction, redirection and supervision eventually
prevailed.

For your immediate problem, while Ollie is still little you might
look into those plastic coverings for kitty claws. Vet offices
sell them. They just glue onto the claws. This should
provide some measure of protection for the baby. Continue
to supervise, and redirect Ollie and provide a safe haven for the
cat.

Mary